[Asterisk-Users] Broadvoice problems again

Deon Rodden drodden at webunited.net
Mon Jul 26 09:05:04 MST 2004

I've been using them for just over a month, and this is the first outtage
I've noticed with them. While I'm not happy about how long this outtage has
gone on, I'm willing to give them another chance.

I'm curious though, I'm paying $19.95 for unlimited local and long distance.
Why would you choose to push your long distance calls out of NuFone (or even
VoicePulse Connect) if BroadVoice doesn't charge for long distance? I've
received more than 1 call simultaenously on that phone number. I've also
been able to place 2-3 calls simultaneously out through the account.

This was of course before they started/I learned they'll be charging $0.039
or something like that for simul outbound calls. Only after 1 call is being
pushed out through Broadvoice could I see the advantage of using NuFone's
lower rates for any additional outbound long distance calls. But the first
line/outbound call should be completely free/unlimited. He said excluding
3-way calls of course.

I'm curious, how can they distinguish a 3-way call to another long distance
number, vs 2 individual calls to 2 different long distance numbers (if both
are being piped through Asterisk).  Ie. if I used a Cisco 7960 with their
service, and I called a number, and then 3-way'd another number, I wouldn't
be charged for that 2nd simul call, as 3-way calling is a feature of their
service. Now, if I had Asterisk register with them, and had the same Cisco
7960 register w/ my Asterisk server and that Asterisk server pushes the
calls out to BroadVoice, and I 3-Way called again, both calls would come
from my Asterisk server, would they charge 3 cents a minte for that 2nd
call? If not, what if 2 individual phones registered with my Asterisk server
and each phone dialed a number, both outbound lines would come from my
Asterisk server, would I be charged 3 cents a min for that 2nd call?