[Asterisk-Users] Large Enterprises using asterisk

avizion asterisk-users at relay.dk
Fri Jul 23 03:22:24 MST 2004

Quoting Philipp von Klitzing <klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>:
> > 	What I also saw in my little research that * in not suitable for
> > large deployments like medium or large enterprises or sometimes even
> > smalls ones with specifics needs, any of you could mention a lot of
> > them, Call Centers, Banks, etc. and why not carriers for their own use.
>
> Just a little addition to that:
>
> I recently talked to the computing center of my university (RWTH-Aachen)
>   and asked if they had considered moving towards VoIP, maybe even using
> Asterisk and/or SER. Although they are under quite some financial
> pressure they opted to stick with the Alcatel 4400, even if that means
> that only basic needs can be covered (due to costs, mainly). One reason
> given was that professors wanted to keep the "secretary-boss" phone
> relationship, which includes - I am guessing here - that the  secretary
> can see if the boss line is busy.

This is exactly what I will be looking for in near future. Our current setup
(Old Ericsson PBX) with these "system phones" having hotkeys for transfer,
hold, ACD in/out, multiple lines, etc. and a quite handy feature... the LED
that tells my weather a certain agent is busy or not.

Soft Phones like IaxClient have some of this - but far from complete imho. I
have been discussing this with some managers and they are open for helping to
commit hours in terms of development in the open source community. I would be
very interested in pointers to development in this area - and even discussion
lists for starters. I know the WiKi is a great start but I hope it's missing
some linke :)

PS: If already existing soft (and/or hard) phones have more of this
functionality - please let me know.

Thanks

--
avizion on irc.freenode.org #asterisk