[Asterisk-Users] Large Enterprises using asterisk

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Thu Jul 22 18:23:16 MST 2004

Argh.... Why do I always hear about things so late?  Just talked to a
tech from my biggest client (I'm a contract programmer by trade).
Apparently, they were looking into getting a new phone system, 20
channels on a T1, 35 extensions, voice-mail, IVR, call-queue for a
call-center.  One of the techs was pushing an IP solution, but having
been Altigen users for a while, the boss didn't want to hear about
another "soft-pbx".  They got raped by Nortel (I think) for about $20K +
support.  Boss wanted to have a "box that only does phone, which we can
put in the closet and forget about".

I think the biggest hurdle Asterisk will face is overcoming the failed
experiments such as Altigen, and the perception that a state-of-the-art
PBX does not need maintenance.