[Asterisk-Users] Large Enterprises using asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jul 22 20:16:57 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 20:23, Jay Milk wrote:
> Argh.... Why do I always hear about things so late?  Just talked to a
> tech from my biggest client (I'm a contract programmer by trade).
> Apparently, they were looking into getting a new phone system, 20
> channels on a T1, 35 extensions, voice-mail, IVR, call-queue for a
> call-center.  One of the techs was pushing an IP solution, but having
> been Altigen users for a while, the boss didn't want to hear about
> another "soft-pbx".  They got raped by Nortel (I think) for about $20K +
> support.  Boss wanted to have a "box that only does phone, which we can
> put in the closet and forget about".
>
> I think the biggest hurdle Asterisk will face is overcoming the failed
> experiments such as Altigen, and the perception that a state-of-the-art
> PBX does not need maintenance.

If you don't have a IP connection, you can let the install go stale.
Asterisk could be your closet box that doesn't get touched unless a
piece of hardware fails.

If it ever touches a network with normal users on it, you will need to
keep it maintained. The beautiful part about asterisk, you can sell it
into many places as it has the capabilities.