[Asterisk-Users] Re: Nortel SL1 protocol and *?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Jul 22 18:07:20 MST 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 17:46, jim at digitalchemy.ca wrote:
> The problem here is that you need to have MCDN to get the message
> notification from the network to the MICS. MCDN only works if you're using
> the SL1 protocol on the span, and * doesn't support SL1 (no one but Nortel
> does because it's their proprietary protocol).

Yes I realize I'd need a licence key on the Meridian but I am wondering what
kind of complexity is involved...  Would a PRI logger and a pair of Meridians
doing their thing give us enough to go on...

> >Both require a T1 card.  The T1 card requires either a clocking module or
> >the 6-port fiber module to provide T1 timing.  Naturally a T100P or TE405P
> >is required on the * side.

Yes I realize that part, it's the SL1 protocol I'm curious about :-)

> Sure. Plus you can do some awesome routing tricks using the Routing service
> in the MICS.

Yeah but currently all calls go thorugh * so there's no Meridian routing
tricks required. Just setting OLI# is enough to track who is calling where,
and I bet it's enough to get you started on a voicemail interface...  the
only trick is the MWI which, admittedly, is important.  :-)

> Yep. More specifically, you need MCDN (Meridian Customer Defined Network)
> to take advantage of centralized mail.

Right, a valid license for it.

> You almost have to know how to hack/spoof the D-channel messaging. SL-1
> and MCDN are Nortel proprietary, and I don't believe there's any easy way
> to access the specs on those.

That is what I was getting at...  Unless they INTENTIONALLY made it difficult
(there really isn't a lot of horsepower on those systems so I can't really
see it), would it be more involved than a pair of MICS with the keys and a
PRI analyzer in the middle spewing out the D channel data?

> Why not use a VMI on the MICS, and tie em together with FXO cards in the *?

Where can I get a VMI?  I haven't been able to find one, or any data on one.
I currently have 12 lines going in to an Adit600 FXS bank and will be
purchasing a 8-port analog station module with MWI instead of pissing around
with ATA2s to try and tie in some softphones.

-A.