[Asterisk-Users] Re: Nortel SL1 protocol and *?

jim at digitalchemy.ca jim at digitalchemy.ca
Thu Jul 22 14:46:33 MST 2004

>From: Andrew Kohlsmith <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com>
>To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:18:00 -0400
>Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Nortel SL1 protocol and *?
>
>I have been investigating more tight integration between * and the Nortel MICS...
>it appears that it is at least theoretically possible to have * store voicemail
>and log which stations call where.

The problem here is that you need to have MCDN to get the message
notification from the network to the MICS. MCDN only works if you're using the
SL1 protocol on the span, and * doesn't support SL1 (no one but Nortel does because
it's their proprietary protocol).

>Both require a T1 card.  The T1 card requires either a clocking module or
>the 6-port fiber module to provide T1 timing.  Naturally a T100P or TE405P
>is required on the * side.

For the MICS you'll either need a services cartridge, or a COMBO cartridge
(there's two types of 6-port cartidges - only the COMBO version has the services
cartridge built-in). Other folks have connected * to MICS via a PRI span, so it definitely
do-able

>To log which stations call where you set up the OLI# on the MICS to set
>the outgoing caller ID to the station # + some prefix.  i.e. you're really
>configuring the MICS to set the outgoing CID to be a number in a DID pool.

Sure. Plus you can do some awesome routing tricks using the Routing service
in the MICS.

>However to get * to gracefully handle the MICS voicemail it appears that
>you can utilize the centralized voicemail feature on the MICS.  It is used
>to allow Norstar systems to share a voicemail system.  This is perfect.  :-)
>However it seems that in setting it up the T1 needs to be set up to use
>the SL1 protocol.

Yep. More specifically, you need MCDN (Meridian Customer Defined Network)
to take advantage of centralized mail.

>Does anyone have any more information on the SL1 protocol?  I don't expect
>* to support it currently but I'm more interested in investigating what is
>required.  I think that allowing * to play with these systems nicely will
>go a LONG way in furthering Asterisk's penetration into the small/mid
>business  market.

You almost have to know how to hack/spoof the D-channel messaging. SL-1
and MCDN are Nortel proprietary, and I don't believe there's any easy way to
access the specs on those.

Why not use a VMI on the MICS, and tie em together with FXO cards in the *?

>Aside: Since we moved to the new building (and * is
>handling all calls and faxes for us) our * system has handled over 11500
>calls.  That's over 5500 calls a month, incoming, outgoing and faxes.
>Not a bad start.  :-)

Fantastic!

--
Jim Van Meggelen