[Asterisk-Users] Nortel SL1 protocol and *?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Jul 22 10:14:56 MST 2004

Hi,

The SL1 was an old Northern Telecom PBX, from the late 1970s/early 1980s
- the precursor to the Meridian. I've never seen it refered to as a
protocol. Now, if you really means the Meridian Link CTI protocol, then
yep, I know about that. They charged a fortune ($25,000 I think) for a
copy of the manual last time I asked.  I have implemented software to
drive a Meridian through that interface. It kept changing quite a bit,
and earlier machines don't implement it by TCP/IP over ethernet - I
can't remember the interface they used before. They seemed a bit vague
about what IP issues they might use to hold people to paying all that
money. Trade secrets maybe. Anyway, if you can find a copy of the
documentation, the protocol is quite simple. None of that nasty ASN.1,
like CSTA. It is a bit like Q.931 messages, if I remember rightly (it
was a few years ago).

Regards,
Steve