[Asterisk-Users] Nortel SL1 protocol and *?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Jul 22 09:18:00 MST 2004

I have been investigating more tight integration between * and the Nortel
MICS...  it appears that it is at least theoretically possible to have *
store voicemail and log which stations call where.

Both require a T1 card.  The T1 card requires either a clocking module or the
6-port fiber module to provide T1 timing.  Naturally a T100P or TE405P is
required on the * side.

To log which stations call where you set up the OLI# on the MICS to set the
outgoing caller ID to the station # + some prefix.  i.e. you're really
configuring the MICS to set the outgoing CID to be a number in a DID pool.

However to get * to gracefully handle the MICS voicemail it appears that you
can utilize the centralized voicemail feature on the MICS.  It is used to
allow Norstar systems to share a voicemail system.  This is perfect.  :-)
However it seems that in setting it up the T1 needs to be set up to use the
SL1 protocol.

Does anyone have any more information on the SL1 protocol?  I don't expect *
to support it currently but I'm more interested in investigating what is
required.  I think that allowing * to play with these systems nicely will go
a LONG way in furthering Asterisk's penetration into the small/mid business
market.

Aside: Since we moved to the new building (and * is handling all calls and
faxes for us) our * system has handled over 11500 calls.  That's over 5500
calls a month, incoming, outgoing and faxes.  Not a bad start.  :-)

-A.