[Asterisk-Users] Nortel SL1 protocol and *?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Jul 22 18:13:00 MST 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 13:14, Steve Underwood wrote:
> The SL1 was an old Northern Telecom PBX, from the late 1970s/early 1980s
> - the precursor to the Meridian. I've never seen it refered to as a
> protocol. Now, if you really means the Meridian Link CTI protocol, then
> yep, I know about that. They charged a fortune ($25,000 I think) for a
> copy of the manual last time I asked.  I have implemented software to
> drive a Meridian through that interface. It kept changing quite a bit,

Yeah I was looking in to the CTI; do you have more information that you could
share about how it interfaces, what the module costs, what its real
capabilties are, etc.?

SL1 is the proprietary protcol that Meridian systems use in point-to-point PRI
circuits to do things like common voicemail, etc.  While my optimism is
indeed preceeding any kind of experience with SL1, I am not sure it would be
terribly difficult if the intital cash outlay for a PRI analyzer (TE405P with
an MICS on two ports and bridging the D channels?) and two licensed Meridian
systems.

> money. Trade secrets maybe. Anyway, if you can find a copy of the
> documentation, the protocol is quite simple. None of that nasty ASN.1,
> like CSTA. It is a bit like Q.931 messages, if I remember rightly (it
> was a few years ago).

Thanks for the history lesson and I look forward to your reply.  :-)

-A.