[Asterisk-Users] Anyone else having Broadvoice Problems?

Gregory Youngblood greg at mail.netio.org
Thu Jul 22 06:49:59 MST 2004

> >Could this possibly indicate a problem with asterisk where the first
> >address resolved from sip.broadvoice.com isn't functioning
> correctly,
> >and asterisk doesn't try the alternate address? This isn't a
> scientific
> >analysis...just proposing an idea....I don't know enough about the
> >internals to make a statement like this, I'm hoping that someone out
> >there can provide more intelligent analysis of this!
> >
> Asterisk does no do DNS queries every time it tries to send a
> call to another provider.  It only does so on startup/reload.
>  So it will only pickup the first address resolved.  If it is
> down (like in your case) then your screwed.  Might be
> worthwile to put in a BUG report to get a better funcionality
> here.  Like for example if the remote host does not answer
> then redo the DNS query...

Instead of doing another DNS query, sip.broadvoice.com is returning more
than one IP address, simply keep all of the addresses returned from that
initial DNS query, and if a call fails on one, just try the others already
in memory. I suppose, if all of those failed, performing another DNS query
to see if there are new entries to try would make scenarios where one IP
address fails less likely to impact service. The system would have a little
more internal redundancy, allowing it to gracefully handle failover to other
addresses, making recovery from similar external failures more automated and
requiring less manual intervention to restore service. Almost always a good
thing for a telco system. From my experience, it isn't that unusual for
multiple IP addresses to be provided for VoIP services, or for one of the IP
addresses to be down from time to time for maintenance purposes.

As I mentioned in a previous message, I'm just getting started with
Asterisk. Perhaps something like this is already happening, though it
doesn't sound like it based on what I've been reading in this thread.

Greg