[Asterisk-Users] Mac OS X installer: missing files fix

Sunrise Ltd stsltdtyo at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Jul 19 12:39:19 MST 2004

Wallingford, Ted wrote:

>I've paraphrased the OS X installer developer's comments:
there's a
>bug in Installer that is preventing the archive from
working right.
>Below is the fix for the problem.

Apple may have a reputation for attention to detail and
perfectionism, but their PackageMaker utillity -- which is
what you use to create those install packages -- does most
definitely NOT share any of these virtues. It's one of the
worst examples of sloppiness I have seen.

PackageMaker simply refuses to include files targeted at
/usr (and below) into the bills of materials file
(Archive.bom). The files are all there, nicely
shrinkwrapped into the archive itself (Archive.pax.gz),
but no matter what you do, they won't show up in the BOM
file. As a result, the installer will not install but
ignore them.

I am now going to change the target to /private/tmp and
then run a postinstall script (luckily this feature
actually works) to move the files into /usr. I will also
provide a patching utility for those who have been hit by
this.

Folks, I am very sorry about the inconvenience. I have
tested the installer on various systems beforehand, but I
must have missed to wipe everything at some point. My
sincerest apologies.

>First (obviously) run the installer. Since the
executables are in the
>archive.pax.gz file in the installer package, first do a
"show package
>contents" on the package file, then unstuff the enclosed
>archive.pax.gz file to the desktop... Then open up a
shell,
>CD to the desktop, and run the following:
>
> cat Archive.pax | pax -r
> sudo cp -R usr/* /usr

Thanks for your follow up.

Yes, this will work, but I guess that it is a bit too
crude for many Mac folks, they like to just click on
things to make stuff work. That was the whole point of
creating the install package in the first place. I have
failed the Mac folks miserably in this regard.

So, please hang on there for a little while, I'll get back
to you with a new install package and a patching utility.

Meanwhile, we've released a few clickable AppleScript
script apps for basic control of Asterisk
(start/stop/reload/show version). You can download them
(as a zip archive) from
http:/www.astmasters.net/stuff/AsteriskApplescripts.zip

regards
benjamin

--
Sunrise Telephone Systems Ltd
9F Shibuya Daikyo Bldg., 1-13-5 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan