[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on FreeBSD 4.10 dies

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jul 12 01:06:44 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 02:38, Richard Scobie wrote:

> A slightly similar observation, which I assume is normal as the boxes
> work fine, is both my P4 2.4GHz Linux asterisks spike up to 100% load,
> about every 30 seconds, with no calls being handled.

You don't mention it, but it sounds like you are running either Fedora
core or Red Hat. There are known problems regarding the threading in
those distos. The is a known work around too.

> The boxes are only running asterisk, ntpd, sshd and the core 2.4 kernel
> services and the load can be observed in top by noting the system CPU
> usage figure in the upper part of the top display - no CPU usage is
> shown by any of the listed processes.

If you haven't done so, take a moment to read or listen about quantum
mechanics. The problems with wuantum mechanics is similar to what you
describe. The tool you are using to make measurements affects what you
are measuring. Something to think about. Top is a very crude way of
measuring system load. It is nice and useful, but remember it's short
comings.

> As I say, it is probably normal, but I've wondered what causes it.

On BSD, I think it was mentioned that select works differently and so
while it is "normal", it isn't what one would want.