[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on FreeBSD 4.10 dies

Richard Scobie r.scobie at clear.net.nz
Mon Jul 12 01:43:11 MST 2004

Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 02:38, Richard Scobie wrote:
>

>>A slightly similar observation, which I assume is normal as the boxes
>>work fine, is both my P4 2.4GHz Linux asterisks spike up to 100% load,
>>about every 30 seconds, with no calls being handled.
>

> You don't mention it, but it sounds like you are running either Fedora
> core or Red Hat. There are known problems regarding the threading in
> those distos. The is a known work around too.

No, I have avoided the later RedHat distros for that reason. It is a
stripped down RH 7.3 and updates with a custom compiled bare bones
2.4.21 kernel, (from memory - I'll be updating once .27 is out). As far
as I know, threading is pretty standard there.

> If you haven't done so, take a moment to read or listen about quantum
> mechanics. The problems with wuantum mechanics is similar to what you
> describe. The tool you are using to make measurements affects what you
> are measuring. Something to think about. Top is a very crude way of
> measuring system load. It is nice and useful, but remember it's short
> comings.

True, but it is out of character with what I see on similar boxes not
running asterisk. What would one use to measure this less obtrusively?

Regards,

Richard