[Asterisk-Users] RE: What is the difference between queeu members and queue agents

Constantine Filin cfilin at intermedia.net
Wed Jul 7 18:51:15 MST 2004

greetings

> > I've read a lot on http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk, but I cannot
> > understand what the difference between a queue member and queue agent is.
> Agents would be people who's job it is to answer calls. An agent logs in=20
> indicating that he's now available to take calls. Asterisk then sends calls=
> to each agent as they are free to take a call.
>
> Members are those calling in and piling up in the queue, waiting for an agent
> to answer.

   ...hm, then why http://www.sprackett.com/asterisk/conf/queues.conf
    says "agents or members who are listening to more than one queue can
   differentiated how they should engage the customer".

Also the same configuration file list agents as *members* of the queue:
member => Agent/01
member => Agent/02

>> Gurus, can you please explain this?
>> When - for example - should I use "AddQueueMember" application and when
>> should I use "AgentLogin" ?
>
> You add a member when the extension he's calling is busy. An agent does a
> login when he's ready to take calls.

   ok, then what is the difference between command "Queue" and "AddQueueMember"
   if they both pile up a queue?

respectfully

Constantine