[Asterisk-Users] New CVS for patch...

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Jul 6 08:54:32 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 10:42, Jay Milk wrote:
> I want to patch voicemail.c to allow for configurable pager-messages.
> Looked at the code, and I know I can do that in 10 minutes.  Once done,
> I'm planning to make this "patch" available to the community, provided
> the paperwork (release form etc) takes less time than the actual patch.
>
> Of course I know that I should based my modification on the
> latest-available code, but I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade my WORKING
> asterisk to the latest CVS.  Can I rename my asterisk-dir in /usr/src to
> something different, then check out the latest CVS, make my changes, and
> if it doesn't work, revert to my working version?  Or will Make and its
> friends throw me for a loop?

Not only can you rename your working version, you also are able to
checkout to a different directory. Add to it the ability to make you
changes to your current install and just backup the modules you are
messing with and reinstall it no problem. Then when you are happy with
the patch, you could try a test against current to make sure nothing
changed in the interim and submit it.

The paperwork to allow work to be incorporated into asterisk is
basically downloading a form, filling it out(under 2  minutes) and
faxing a copy of it and mailing it to Digium.

Pretty simple.