[Asterisk-Users] Re: iax or sip

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jul 5 19:47:21 MST 2004

>>> 1. Control a call, (maybe you want to do some ACL type filtering,
>>> maybe you want to keep track of usage, maybe you just to be in
>>> control...)
>> hmmm.  post setup, which clearly needs to go through all servers
>> (or pbxen) in path, i don't see a win here.  send more clue.
> hide one end from the other.  I have a customer and a carrier.  I
> don't want one to know who the other is lest they get together
> and cut me out of the equation.

yikes!  despite ad homina on this list, even i am not that
sneaky.  but i can see folk having legitimate needs such as
this in an emerging market in desperate times.

> My comment above not withstanding, might I be correct that
> your purpose is more along the lines of a personal comm
> system?

while i have that going on the side for fun, see appended,
the use for which i am scratching my head is big pipe global
backbone stuff.  i am in the commercial world in my daytime
job.  i sold my soul long ago; had to put kids through
college and all that crass capitalist stuff.

randy

---

for your amusement, i can talk about my private play-pen

i have a rack in seattle's carrier hotel with 2xSTM-1
connectivity.  in it, i have
  o asterisk running on a freebsd server (many many thanks
    to the freebsd porting crew)
  o cisco 1750 with pots out-dial on fixed ld price plan

in our home nearby on bainbridge island, we have
  o cisco 7960 on an external static address
  o spa-3000 on an external static address
    - one port to in-house phone system
    - pstn port to local telco, qwest

in our home on the big island of hawaii, we have the same as
bainbridge
  o cisco 7960 on an external static address
  o spa-3000 on an external static address
    - one port to in-house phone system
    - pstn port to local telco, verizon

we use the system to get
  o follow-me forwarding to wherever we are, including
    mobile phones, blah blah, so that callers don't have to
    know where we are to call us
  o free calls between the two houses
  o low cost calls within north america
  o gate to low cost voip intl pstn gateway provider, as we
    make a lot of personal intl calls

fairly simple and boring.  and thanks to a number of folk
who helped me up the learning curve (sjw being the first,
and i am not even paying his counselling [sic] bill:-).  the
telco part of this stuff is not easy for an over-attenuated
ip kinda guy.  and my programming language background does
me no good with asterisk config files! :-)

-30-