[Asterisk-Users] Re: iax or sip

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Mon Jul 5 19:29:43 MST 2004

Randy Bush wrote:
>>There are many reasons to have an Asterisk box in a stream:
>>
>>1. Control a call, (maybe you want to do some ACL type filtering,
>>maybe you want to keep track of usage, maybe you just to be in
>>control...)
>

> hmmm.  post setup, which clearly needs to go through all servers
> (or pbxen) in path, i don't see a win here.  send more clue.

hide one end from the other.  I have a customer and a carrier.  I don't
want one to know who the other is lest they get together and cut me out
of the equation.

>>2. Provide features (access to PSTN, conference capability, music
>>on hold, call parking, agents and queues.....  the list goes on
>>and on)
>

> that's setup not payload
>

>>3. Endpoints (User Agents) MAY not be able to send data streams
>>to each other directly (firewalls or nats in the middle)
>

> yes indeed.  so one, but likely only one, if they're asterisk, pbx
> needs to intermediate, not a bunch on a path.
>

>>And depending upon your view of things (your view might be
>>different than the view of the IT/communications administrator of
>>a large company), using IAX in a geographically distributed use
>>scenario might very well be exactly what you want (use over an
>>encrypted vpn link, etc.)
>

> yes, it might be.  but as you know, i am a big pipe backbone geek,
> not an admin of a large distributed company.  and i am addict of
> simple (non-complex, not the presence protocol:-).
>
> randy

My comment above not withstanding, might I be correct that your purpose
is more along the lines of a personal comm system?

For more similarly minded folks you might consider looking at
these folks:

http://www.vide.net/

At least I think they're more into personal, distributed comm systems
type things... In any case, they don't have a commercial mindset as many
here have. Mind you, commercial is not a bad thing, just not terribly
friendly.