[Asterisk-Users] Re: iax or sip

Nicholas Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Tue Jul 6 14:53:53 MST 2004

Randy Bush wrote:

>>>Hmmm.  Post setup, which clearly needs to go through all servers
>>>(or pbxen) in path, I don't see a win here.  Send more clue.

More likely is that the phones on the LAN are SIP and the boxes on the
WAN are talking IAX, since that seems to make the most sense to me.

>>hide one end from the other.  I have a customer and a carrier.  I
>>don't want one to know who the other is lest they get together
>>and cut me out of the equation.
>>

>Yikes!  Despite ad homina on this list, even I am not that
>sneaky.  But I can see folk having legitimate needs such as
>this in an emerging market in desperate times.

It's not always so sneaky... imagine that I'm a VoIP provider targeting
homes and small business.  I'm best to buy minutes in bulk from AT&T
and/or MCI or any carrier who can offer super-cheap rates in bulk.
These carriers don't sell VoIP to home users, they sell it to people
like me.  I still don't really want my users or competition know where I
buy my minutes from, nonetheless.  And AT&T doesn't really want a direct
connection to the home user.  So it works out that I am the logical
middle-man, especially if I can trunk calls within a few hops of the
user (like if I'm also their DSL provider as well) to save everybody
bandwidth.

Most significantly, this hierarchal paradigm is the most familiar to
telcos and telephone people in general.

Nick