[Asterisk-Users] Caller ID Presentment on PRI...

Ryan Tucker rtucker at netacc.net
Sat Jan 31 08:39:22 MST 2004

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, David C. Troy wrote:
> What I am wondering is whether a PRI has to have some feature turned on
> in order to inject the textual Caller ID name data, or whether this is
> just how PRI's work in general.  And if so, who controls the reverse
> mapping, and how does that work with CLEC phone numbers, etc?

You'll need to get in touch with whomever provides your PRI to change
that.  It's often a somewhat interesting process, and will only affect
specific phone numbers -- the name doesn't travel with the call, it's
retrieved as a seperate operation, and the request is routed back based
off of the phone number.  You can change your phone numbers to say
whatever, but the White House's phone numbers can't be affected by you.

> Is anybody out there currently able to set CIDName to be something
> different than the reverse lookup name?  My goal is not to spoof the
> White House, btw, but it makes a fun example.

Beware the three-letter agencies.  Beware even more the two-letter ones.
-rt