[Asterisk-Users] Compiling while * is running

Rob Fugina robf at geekthing.com
Fri Jan 30 11:10:31 MST 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 12:21:49PM -0500, Stephen R. Besch wrote:
> I just fetched today's cvs (1/30/04 11:10:31). Compiles/installs on my
> test  machine (ASUS A7V, 900 MHZ). However, If I try to compile on my
> production machine (Elite K7S5A, 2.4GHz, 512MB) while * is running the
> zaptel and asterisk compiles seg fault. I am assuming that they will
> compile correctly if I bring down * and rmmod the zaptel driver. 0.7.1
> compiled and is now running.
>
> Is there a way to safely compile while * is running, so that I can
> minimize down time of the server?

Seg faulting compiles usually indicate a memory problem on the machine.
Not lack of size, but bad memory, badly seated memory, etc...  There's
no reason asterisk running, or the drivers being loaded, should
cause a compile to seg fault.

On the other hand, the load of a compile could affect asterisk's
performance...

Rob

--
Rob Fugina, Systems Guy
robf at geekthing.com -- http://www.geekthing.com

Yes, you're right. Unfortunately, I don't really care.