[Asterisk-Users] Compiling while * is running

David Gomillion dgomillion at eyecarenow.com
Fri Jan 30 12:26:21 MST 2004

Rob Fugina wrote:
[snip]
>> Is there a way to safely compile while * is running, so that I can
>> minimize down time of the server?
>
> Seg faulting compiles usually indicate a memory problem on the
> machine. Not lack of size, but bad memory, badly seated memory,
> etc...  There's no reason asterisk running, or the drivers being
> loaded, should
> cause a compile to seg fault.

I don't agree.  When first learning to program, my programs segfaulted all
of the time, regarless of what machine I was on.  Often, it was doing
something stupid, like trying to replace a file that was in use, etc.

On my machine, compiling took ~2 minutes, for all 3 pieces (zaptel, libpri,
and asterisk).  To get 5 9's (99.999% uptime), you need to be up for 13.9
days (check my math... it's been a while).

My suggestion: if this downtime is unacceptable for your use, then get an
identical machine, exactly alike in all ways, including library versions,
hardware, etc, and compile it on that machine.  Then copy the appropriate
directories over to your production machine.  Copy the production machine's
directories to a safe location, stop * and zaptel, copy the new compiled
things over, then restart * and zaptel.  My guess is that 30 seconds should
be plenty of time for this change.  Thus, you only need to have been up for
the last 3.47 days to have 99.999% uptime.

Either that, or maybe if uptime is so critical, you should have a "hot
spare" machine on-hand at all times.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

David Gomillion