[Asterisk-Users] * dialing before line is open?

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Thu Jan 29 11:31:15 MST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, john lawler wrote:
> I've had a sporadic problem recently with one of my users on our POTS
> line.  About 1/3 of the time he dials a number (usually from a speeddial
> on his phone, I think), he'll get some phone company message (from the
> outside) about how the call could not be completed as dialed or
> something like that.

I had a similar problem with a client. I hooked up a butt set to the line
and listened and only heard 4-5 digits being sent. The problem ended up
being high loop current on the line. It should be around 20-25 milliamps,
but this one was 45. High loop current can cause a variety of strange
problems. There is more information on it at www.sandman.com if you want
to look. The easiest way to fix it is to put a 500 or 1k ohm 1 watt
resistor in series with both tip and ring.

dave

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent