[Asterisk-Users] Re: USB headset recommendations

Reinhard Max max at suse.de
Fri Jan 23 01:33:58 MST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 at 23:36, Ken Alker wrote:

> I'd like to get some feedback from users of USB headsets as to what
> they like/dislike about the unit they own (manufacturer/model
> number).

I've got a Labtec Axis 712 stereo USB headset. They also produced it
in a mono version (Axis 711). Both devices have disappeared from the
Labtec homepage, but retailers still seem to have them on stock, e.g.:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/speakers/headsets/5de1

It is supported by ALSA, and by the kernel's native USB audio driver.
Sound quality is great, but the box with the volume and mute buttons
on it is a bit clunky for my taste.

I've had some problems getting it to work on various USB ports based
on VIA chipsets (Intel worked fine), but that doesn't seem to be the
fault of the headset, as other USB devices were having problems on
theese VIA chipsets as well.

> Any advantages/disadvantages to using a USB headset over a regular
> headset slaved off the internal sound card?

And advantage of having the headset separate from the internal sound
card is, that you can use the latter for playing the phone ring sound
which would be too silent if only played on the speakers of the
headset.

> Are you using yours in a call center environment?

No, only for testing so far, but I think it would be OK for a call
center env.

> As an aside, do all USB headphones have built-in sounds cards?

I think so.

> If so, are the built-in cards always full duplex?

I would assume so, as most applications of a hadset require it to
support full duplex. Also, I don't think anybody is still making sound
cards that aren't full duplex these days.

cu
	Reinhard