[Asterisk-Users] [ot] Grandstream hardware

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Tue Jan 20 00:12:38 MST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 05:23:26PM -0600, Eric Wieling wrote:
> How does Grandstream become patent indemnified for their hardware?  I
> would assume they did not pay for a license for G723,1 and G729 directly
> to the patent holding company.  Maybe they did.  I always assumed the
> indemnification came with a DSP that implemented the codec.

I suppose they did pay for it.

A DSP is a processor. Just like when you buy a Pentium IV, it doesn't
give you the right to use, for instance, MS Windows on it. You have to
pay for software. And that's what algorithms are. Except that you have
to pay for algorithms even if you do your own original implementation.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive