[Asterisk-Users] [ot] Grandstream hardware

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue Jan 20 07:57:32 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 01:12, Nicolas Bougues wrote:

> A DSP is a processor. Just like when you buy a Pentium IV, it doesn't
> give you the right to use, for instance, MS Windows on it. You have to
> pay for software. And that's what algorithms are. Except that you have
> to pay for algorithms even if you do your own original implementation.

Yes, but with a Pentium you don't have to pay a license to use MMX in
your software, since the MMX instructions are part of the product you
are allowed to use them with that product.

If I understand things correctly, the companies that make DSP chips can
implement whatever codec(s) they want and NOT have to pay the patent
holders to sell this product with the patent holder's codec in it?

I ask again, how does Grandstream (from all accounts a very small
company) afford to provide the patented codecs in their products?

--Eric