[Asterisk-Users] Basic Asterisk capabilities question

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Wed Jan 14 14:18:04 MST 2004

Hi Gary-

In a nutshell:

* asterisk is open-source software, you can run it on many Linux- and
Unix-variants.  See www.asterisk.org for a lot of general information, and
links to useful sites.  asterisk's main focus is to implement Voice over IP
technology, including call switching etc, but there are many other uses.  My
company, for example, specializes in large scale IVR systems .

* many people use Digium hardware (www.digium.com) when asterisk needs to
talk with the PSTN via either loop-start or PRI lines.  Digium hardware uses
the power of the host PC's processor for many of the functions that are
typically implemented on-board on other voice boards (like Dialogic).
Digium hardware is Much less expensive than Dialogic, but you have to make
sure you have the necessary horsepower in the PC.

* It's not at all a turn-key system:  you have to put the hardware and
software together yourself, or have someone do it for you.  But
straightforward applications can be put together fairly quickly by almost
anyone with some software and telephony background.

* I don't think there are Bayonne drivers for the Digium hardware, but not
sure.

* A lot of people have contributed to the site affectionately known as the
"Wiki".  Check it out:  www.voip-info.org, and click "asterisk".

Good luck, and let us know if you need help with your application!

Regards

Scott M. Stingel
Emerging Voice Technology Inc.

Email:          scott at evtmedia.com