[Asterisk-Users] Re: Voicepulse

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Jan 14 02:12:24 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 19:42, Chris Albertson wrote:
> --- Steve Sobol <sjsobol at JustThe.net> wrote:
> > Matt Lawson wrote:
> >
> > > I was just about to write the same thing.  It says "busy".  Is is
> > REALLY
> > > busy or is something else wrong?
> > >
> > > This on the heels of switch-1.nufone.net being missing out of DNS.
> > >
> > > We have customers that expect their VOIP to work.  Is there anybody
> >
> > > that's reliable?
>
> I've been doing some testing and so far I'm not 100% impressed
> by the VOIP services I've seen.  They provide a good service but
> my local phone company and AT&T longdistance service is more
> reliable.

That would be a big DUH! Now the question comes down to choice and
price.

> But this is not to say _you_ can't built a reliable VOIP based
> system.  Get _two_ providers and set up your dial plan in
> extensions.conf to "fail over" if one service fails to
> connect to dial via the next one and finally if both fail
> use pstn. your users will see a system the "just works".
>
> About Nufone's problem.  I bet they'll start thinking about
> getting a backup DNS service and maybe geographic deversity.
> A company should be able to even stay on the air if there is a
> server room fire using techniques like round robin DNS and
> West cost and East coast servers run by different, unrelated
> hosting companies.

Of course had you paid attention to the problem you would have been able
to understand that no DNS arrangement would fix having the root servers
modified by a registrar who screwed up. DNS servers don't work if your
whois doesn't point to the proper places.