[Asterisk-Users] Re: Voicepulse

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 18:42:49 MST 2004

--- Steve Sobol <sjsobol at JustThe.net> wrote:
> Matt Lawson wrote:
>
> > I was just about to write the same thing.  It says "busy".  Is is
> REALLY
> > busy or is something else wrong?
> >
> > This on the heels of switch-1.nufone.net being missing out of DNS.
> >
> > We have customers that expect their VOIP to work.  Is there anybody
>
> > that's reliable?

I've been doing some testing and so far I'm not 100% impressed
by the VOIP services I've seen.  They provide a good service but
my local phone company and AT&T longdistance service is more
reliable.

But this is not to say _you_ can't built a reliable VOIP based
system.  Get _two_ providers and set up your dial plan in
extensions.conf to "fail over" if one service fails to
connect to dial via the next one and finally if both fail
use pstn. your users will see a system the "just works".

About Nufone's problem.  I bet they'll start thinking about
getting a backup DNS service and maybe geographic deversity.
A company should be able to even stay on the air if there is a
server room fire using techniques like round robin DNS and
West cost and East coast servers run by different, unrelated
hosting companies.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com