[Asterisk-Users] Best Linux Distribution

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 10:01:51 MST 2004

I have to agree with the below but only if it is an answer
to the limited question of "Which is best to use for my
Astrisk server".  For a server you are using such a small
percentage of the Linux distribution that they are effectivly
all the same.

A server will not make us of any of the graphical interface or
Desk top software.  Most * servers run with no keyboard or
CRT plugged in.

BUT, If you are running an Asterisk server you will likley
also have a Linux box for development, testing and general
e-mail and web serfing.  For this purpose it does matter, a
little.  They all will do the job but differ in terms of the
details of exactly what software is included and how the menu
system on the desk top is set up.  Still none is better but
they are differntent enough that people can have strong
prefference.

The differences between distributions are minor.  I doubt
an inexperianced user
could tell this Solaris 9 box I'm writing this on from a Linux
system.  Both run "gnome" and look the same on the surface.
But Linux and Solaris are far more different then any two Linuxes.

That said, pick a desktop system you like.  You can get a free
download of any of them or low priced CDs at cheapbytes.com
and try them out.  Then use the same distribution for your
server.

> They're all just Linux. There is no "best". This question is asked so
>
> frequently it almost looks like a troll to me. :)
>
> I've therefore updated the FAQ on the wiki:
>   - http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+FAQ
>
> Which Linux distribution should I choose for Asterisk?
> There is no best distribution. There are no fundamental differences
> in
> functionality or behaviour between Linux distributions like there are
>
> between versions of Windows. Pick whichever one you feel most
> comfortable with.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com