[Asterisk-Users] Mailing list growth

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Jan 10 08:35:06 MST 2004

Hi!

> [...]
> > "higher-level implementation" list that deals specifically with
> > channelbanks & T1 issues (=larger installations). VoIP will remain on
> > asterisk-users.
> [...]
>
> That doesn't quite sound right.  Maybe it is from your perspective, but
> are you telling me that the NOCs with 80+ 7960's running VoIP don't
> count as a large installation?

Ok, I agree that "large" and "small" is not an entirely fitting
description here. Still I would think that in the end you'd mostly get
the "big guys" on the TDM list and "small ones" (including newbies) on
the VoIP/-users list.

> The problem with splitting VoIP and T1/TDM/whatever you want to call it
> is that the crossover is huge, and where the problems lie often aren't
> clear to those looking for help.

True, so let me try to put together what I've read here and come up with
a synthesized ;-> proposal:

- asterisk-users: VoIP and Asterisk in general (including newbies)
- asterisk-tdm: Use if part of your problem/question involves T1/TDM
- asterisk-biz: new topics, not yet really covered on -users

Effects:
- newbies only need to subscribe and read a lower volume -users
- "all readers" have the same amount of traffic, but get some nice
filtering help at least

I know this is not perfect, but a) something needs to be done to come
back to a readable limit of traffic, and b) this is so far the most
convincing setup I've seen proposed. Most probably we all agree that
traffic will rather increase not decrease in the course of 2004...

As Robert pointed out LISTSERV has some nice topic features that could
help, however the license ist costly (we have two LISTSERVs running). Let
me add, though, that besides topic management LISTSERV can also provide
super lists that are great to fight cross-postings - super lists group
one or more normal lists or super lists. My guess is that there are other
MLMs out there that have similar features.

Cheers, Philipp