[Asterisk-Users] IPv6 support

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Thu Jan 8 03:53:50 MST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:19:48AM +0100, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> >There is no real "design issue" with IPV6. No more NAT, that's all.
> Oh, there is a lot of design issues if you consider a dual-IP network.
>
> * If you dial me from an IPv4 network and I'm on IPv6, we have to force
> media proxy
>   (Like NAT today)
>
> * If you're on a IPv4 only network, dialling me and get an IPv6 address to
> my SIP proxy
>   - what do you do?
> * If you're dialing through a SIp proxy and your SDP is IPv6 and your SIP
> contact is IPv4,
>   what do we do?

Well, usually right now :
- machines have both v4 and v6 stacks
- machines have both v4 and v6 addresses

In this setup, there wouldn't be any change for v4 stuff. And v6 stuff
is not much more complicated (although there still might be problems,
like, for instance, some VoIP protocol having syntax problems with v6
addresses).

The idea of a v4 client and v6 server (or proxy, or whatever) looks a
little bit odd to me. If such a thing was easy to do, the world would
have embraced ipv6 quite some time ago.

IPv4 machines can only talk to IPv4.

IPv6 maps IPv4 addresses. So a machine with an IPv6 only stack could
theoritically reach a v4 client through some gateway. And I agree,
this would be quite a mess from the voip protocol stand point.

But hopefully, either :
- v6 hosts are fully v4 enabled as well
- v6 only hosts will only talk to v6 peers

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive