[Asterisk-Users] IPv6 support

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Jan 8 03:19:48 MST 2004

Nicolas Bougues wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:22:26AM +0100, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>
>>Brunner, Armin wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any IPv6 support within asterisk?
>>>I couldn't find any hint in all the documents about this.
>>
>>No. Not today. iptel.org's SER has IPv6 support.
>>I think it is about time to think about how to design it in Asterisk, as
>>many VoIP networks
>>based on SIP consider IPv6 to get rid of the NAT mess.
>>

> There is no real "design issue" with IPV6. No more NAT, that's all.
Oh, there is a lot of design issues if you consider a dual-IP network.

* If you dial me from an IPv4 network and I'm on IPv6, we have to force media proxy
   (Like NAT today)
* If you're on a IPv4 only network, dialling me and get an IPv6 address to my SIP proxy
   - what do you do?
* If you're dialing through a SIp proxy and your SDP is IPv6 and your SIP contact is IPv4,
   what do we do?

...I'm just shooting from my hip, but IPv4-IPv6 together *will* cause a lot of
NAT-like situations. And it will take quite a long time before anyone has an IPv6 only
situation ;-)

I agree, IPv6 only is quite simple, but even if that's the case, there's a lot of
code changes. IP addresses are everywhere in the SIP channel...

/Olle