[Asterisk-Users] 911 and lawsuits

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Jan 6 12:13:57 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 11:46, Jim Flagg wrote:
> [...]

In the US they do now. Most Cell phones now either have a GPS unit built
in, or will identify via some form of cell tower information. I think
the requirement right now is to know where the phone is to within 100
feet or so.

As for the metal building, you'd be surprised how well they work. The
only troubles I had seen before where related to wireless devices that
used similar radio space. When I worked for Ingram Book Company, the
warehouse used wireless terminals to deal with inventory tracking and
movements. These terminals used 900-930Mhz spread spectrum. This
trampled all over the beeper frequencies that were available. Where ever
the transmitters where strongest, you absolutely had no chance of being
beeped. Move out farther into the warehouse where fewer transmitters
where and you could get some through.