[Asterisk-Users] 911 and lawsuits

Joel Maslak jmaslak at antelope.net
Tue Jan 6 11:21:41 MST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Jon Pounder wrote:

> The phone does not have to necessarily be at the pbx either, it could be
> brought out to the reception desk etc.

On Definity systems, we used a device called something like "Emergency
Cut-over".  When power from the switch was lost, the device threw a bunch
of relays cutting CO lines over to fax machines that were specifically
chosen to allow dialing without power (many fax machines won't dial unless
there is power) or to fax machines with a "Y" adapter connected to a $9
Wal-Mart phone.  Normally, these fax machines would go through the switch,
but if the switch had problems, it would "cut over".

We put big signs above all the fax machines indicating that they were
"EMERGENCY PHONES".

I've also seen pay-phones installed in some areas to serve this function as
well (typically shop environments where personal phone calls using company
equipment were frowned upon).

--
Joel