[Asterisk-Users] 911 and lawsuits

Jim Flagg flaggj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 10:46:27 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Critchfield" <critch at basesys.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] 911 and lawsuits

> > I realize that any traditional PBX or even a phone line can fail but,
> > anything running on a computer is probably going to be less reliable
> > than most PBXs.
>
> What do you think most PBXs are? Maybe not a x86, but it is a computer.

Agreed,  Guess I should have said "traditional computer".  Most PBXs would
only use a hard drive for voice mail.  A hard drive failure would not cause the
PBX to stop working.

Also, with something like Asterisk that is changing so often, there is always the
possibility of a typo that is not discovered until you need to use one of those
rarely used features like calling 911.

Most business would have lots of cell phones around but in many metal building
they do not work.  They also don't provide the address information that a
land line phone provides.