[Asterisk-Users] Hold and transfer problem

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Mon Jan 5 06:02:29 MST 2004

Philipp von Klitzing [klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de] wrote:

> > The problem I have is when I put a call on hold, or attempt to transfer
> > a call (same issue, I expect).  Once the call is put on hold, I can't
> > resume it and, after a couple of seconds, I get a "Maximum retries
> > exceeded" error (verbose mode).
> > I suspect that the Cisco 7960 configuration is at fault here, and am
> > wondering if anyone has any advice.
> > I have tried the latest Asterisk version from CVS but that doesn't
> > seem to like my phone at all.  For instance, the voicemail application
> > won't read the DTMF tones and so won't allow me to enter a password. ...
> > Thanks for any help that can be offered with this.  I can live with
> > version 0.5.0 and just not use hold/transfer, but I'd prefer to find
> > a solution.
> >
> I assume you are using SIP instead of Skinny for your Cisco? If yes, then
>    make sure to add disallow=all
>    allow=ulaw
>    allow=alaw

Thanks.  I am using SIP and had the above "allow" directives set up.

> to each of your sip.conf users when using the CVS Asterisk instead of the
> truly old 0.5.0 version. Add any other codecs besides the g.711
> (=ulaw/alaw) you desire with additional allow= statements.

More effort put into my configuration of the CVS version paid off.
In the 0.5.0 version, I had to use "inband" DTMF tones to get the
answering machine to work, but in the latest CVS, the "rfc2833" was
required (for me).  Obviously the DTMF config had to be mirrored
in the phone's setup too.

As you said, the latest CVS version handles holding and transferring
calls properly, and I even managed to test the music on hold facility,
which worked first time.  Great stuff.

Thanks for your help.  Asterisk is a star! :-)

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz