[Asterisk-Users] Hold and transfer problem

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Jan 5 04:12:29 MST 2004

Hi!

> The problem I have is when I put a call on hold, or attempt to transfer
> a call (same issue, I expect).  Once the call is put on hold, I can't
> resume it and, after a couple of seconds, I get a "Maximum retries
> exceeded" error (verbose mode).
> I suspect that the Cisco 7960 configuration is at fault here, and am
> wondering if anyone has any advice.
> I have tried the latest Asterisk version from CVS but that doesn't
> seem to like my phone at all.  For instance, the voicemail application
> won't read the DTMF tones and so won't allow me to enter a password.
> Thanks for any help that can be offered with this.  I can live with
> version 0.5.0 and just not use hold/transfer, but I'd prefer to find
> a solution.

I assume you are using SIP instead of Skinny for your Cisco? If yes, then
make sure to add
   disallow=all
   allow=ulaw
   allow=alaw
to each of your sip.conf users when using the CVS Asterisk instead of the
truly old 0.5.0 version. Add any other codecs besides the g.711
(=ulaw/alaw) you desire with additional allow= statements.

Read about Skinny (or sccp) on this list if you haven't switched to SIP -
there is only minimal support for that protocal in Asterisk. And please
do search the list archive as well as the Wiki for 7960 - you will find
tons of postings (I don't own one of those, so I can't help here).

Cheers, Philipp