[Asterisk-Users] one way choppy sound problem !

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 2 02:46:55 MST 2004

Dawid Mielnik wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have my asterisk setup as following:
>
>	    IP               2 x E1
>x-lite <-------> Asterisk -------> PSTN
>

>When I place a call from x-lite to PSTN, the quality of the sound in the
>direction x-lite -> PSTN is very bad. That is, the voice of the x-lite user,
>heard by the PSTN user is choppy and makes communication not very pleasant.
>The sound is choppy as if bits of data were lost. The strange thing is that
>the x-lite user hears the PSTN user fine !
>
>In x-lite, I have swithed off sience detection (transmit silence - yes),
>this has improved the sound quality but did not eliminated the problem. I
>have fed a countinious sound into the microphone and still got chops in the
>sound. I have also tried changing the codecs gsm, alaw, ulaw - but I get the
>same problem with all of them. Maybe the problem lies somewhere in audio
>buffering settings on x-lite ?
>
>Has anyone ever had this sort of problem and managed to deal with it ? I
>would greatly appreciate your help !
>
>Best regards,
>
>Dave

I have the exact same problem with my Grandstream phones (Snom's are
fine) and others have reported it as well with GS phones but this is the
first time I have heard of this problem in X-Lite..

All I can suggest is that you use the latest version of x-lite and see
if it helps, other than that I have not been able to find the answer..

Good luck, and if you find a solution let us know..

Later..