[Asterisk-Users] one way choppy sound problem !

Dawid Mielnik D.Mielnik at elka.pw.edu.pl
Fri Jan 2 02:23:36 MST 2004

Hi all,

I have my asterisk setup as following:

	    IP               2 x E1
x-lite <-------> Asterisk -------> PSTN

When I place a call from x-lite to PSTN, the quality of the sound in the
direction x-lite -> PSTN is very bad. That is, the voice of the x-lite user,
heard by the PSTN user is choppy and makes communication not very pleasant.
The sound is choppy as if bits of data were lost. The strange thing is that
the x-lite user hears the PSTN user fine !

In x-lite, I have swithed off sience detection (transmit silence - yes),
this has improved the sound quality but did not eliminated the problem. I
have fed a countinious sound into the microphone and still got chops in the
sound. I have also tried changing the codecs gsm, alaw, ulaw - but I get the
same problem with all of them. Maybe the problem lies somewhere in audio
buffering settings on x-lite ?

Has anyone ever had this sort of problem and managed to deal with it ? I
would greatly appreciate your help !

Best regards,

Dave