[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Hardware Solution

Adthrawn adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 18:20:55 MST 2004

Hi,

After speaking with a number of people offlist after the discussion of
low-cost, carrier grade, high-redundancy hardware for Asterisk, I
decided that the fastest option would be to take it into my own hands
and have a solution designed and manufactured.

We are near completion of the solution; which is based upon
carrier-grade blade's, which hot-plug into chassis. This allows for
both small scale development and large scale expansion. From the basic
chassis, with one hot-swap PSU, to the top line chassis with 3 hot-swap
PSU's.

Blades can be dedicated to specific tasks - like an engine just for
Asterisk, an engine just for MySQL and billing, an engine for files
storage (voice mail etc) and so on. The basic chassis starts with 4
slots, so an engine running Asterisk, and 3 communications cards. Or 3
networking cards for integration into bigger networks!

We're also looking into ways of getting Digium Wildcard's intro the
chassis, which will help keep the price point for E1/T1 solutions even
lower.

Of course, the primary factor is cost; and the intention from the
outset was to find a solution that could be something for everybody.
And it look's like it can be. Upgrading chassis is a minimal cost too -
significantly less that buying replacement servers and switches. And it
has high-redundancy. In fact, we are planning to use the smaller
profile chassis solutions as web servers and also expand our public
VoIP gateways (which are co-located in our web data centre).

Send me a mail if you want to be kept uptodate with the progress, or if
you are interested in participating in the beta program.

Regards,
Ad.