[Asterisk-Users] "Call did not go through"

info-lists at robertc.de info-lists at robertc.de
Sat Feb 21 10:45:33 MST 2004

Jim Sneeringer said:
> Whenever an outside number is dialed, Asterisk says "We're sorry. Your
> call
> did can not be completed as dialed. Please check the number and dial again
> or call your attendant to help you."  I have tried many configurations,
> but
> let me give the simplest:  It fails when a local number is dialed and the
> context contains only the following rule:
>
> [default]
> exten => _9NXXXXXX,1,Dial(${TRUNK}/${EXTEN:1})
>
> where
>
> TRUNK = Zap/1&Zap/2
>
> which are Digium FXO cards.
>
> It works with
>
> 	exten =>9,1,Dial(${TRUNK}/${EXTEN})
>
> Furthermore, it was working before.  To my knowledge, the only thing I
> changed to make it fail was to shut down the working test system, move it
> the actual environment, and make it live.  I had been testing with only
> one
> of the two CO lines.  Maybe I changed something in extension.conf, but if
> so
> I don't know what it was.
>
> Incoming and intercom calls work fine.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is wrong?  Thanks.
>
> Jim

In:  exten => _9NXXXXXX,1,Dial(${TRUNK}/${EXTEN:1}) you strip off the
leading 9

in  exten =>9,1,Dial(${TRUNK}/${EXTEN})  you do NOT strip the 9 off.
Could it be that your external line connected to the Digium card is
actually connected to some other system and needs the 9?   (and the
message is actually coming from that system) Connect an analog phone to it
and see what dial string it needs.

Robert