[Asterisk-Users] Are IAX2 providers ready for prime time?

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 20 01:55:14 MST 2004

Jim Archer wrote:

> Hi All...
>
> I have been putting together a call center and I was hoping to use a
> VoIP provider who can terminate IAX2.  A participant here has been
> kind enough to help me off list, for which I am grateful.  I have
> called two VoIP providers, Coloco and NuFone.  Coloco has yet to
> return my calls and although I spoke with someone at NuFone yesterday,
> today when I tried to call to get service I got several "all circuits
> are busy" messages. Calling on the non-toll free number I left voice
> mail, but got no call back, or response to my email.
>
> I looked at Voice Pulse, but have read here that there are issues with
> reliability.  They also seem set up for end user consumers, as do a
> few others.
>
> So I am starting to get a bad feeling about VoIP providers.  They seem
> like really, really small outfits.  Realistically, is the service
> provided by VoIP providers reliable and stable?  Can you bet your
> business on it?  How often does it go down?
>
> I would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks!

I can't really comment about the size or reliability of the providers
but I wanted to comment of you question "Can you bet you business on it?"..

The way I see it VoIP services across the internet  (in the short term
anyway) will never be as reliable as the standard telco provided PSTN
lines.. The main reason being the nature of the Internet..

So I think the question "Can you bet you business on it?" actually needs
to be asked in a differnt way, " Can your business afford to be out of
communication for the an unknown period of time for the sake of possibly
cheaper phone calls?".. You are really the only one who can answer that...

Later..