[Asterisk-Users] Are IAX2 providers ready for prime time?

Jim Archer jim at archer.net
Fri Feb 20 02:05:20 MST 2004

--On Friday, February 20, 2004 8:55 AM +0000 WipeOut
<wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> The way I see it VoIP services across the internet  (in the short term
> anyway) will never be as reliable as the standard telco provided PSTN
> lines.. The main reason being the nature of the Internet..
>
> So I think the question "Can you bet you business on it?" actually needs
> to be asked in a differnt way, " Can your business afford to be out of
> communication for the an unknown period of time for the sake of possibly
> cheaper phone calls?".. You are really the only one who can answer that...

Well, even the most established telcos can go down once in a great while.
Heck, a backhoe can dig up the wires.  These things happen.  What I am
asking is is VoIP service reasonably reliable?  Does it go down for
extended periods daily? Weekly?  Does it sort of stop working for a few
minutes here and there during the day?  Does the sound quality remain
reasonable consistent?  Has it progressed from the experimental stage, or
is it still to be considered a toy?  And, do VoIP providers support their
customers?