[Asterisk-Users] X100P / Echo / ZTMONITOR CAN2,3, etc.

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat Feb 14 08:50:56 MST 2004

On Saturday 14 February 2004 07:39, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > If you're getting echo of your own voice, but the remote is getting
> > a clear signal, then Asterisk echo cancellation is working
> > properly.  It is the remote provider not echo cancelling properly.
>
> I don't buy it.  If that were the case then why would I not _also_
> get my own voice echoed with a regular phone plugged in to the same
> POTS line?

Because the loop is a lot tighter in that case.  There is still an echo,
but because it's so quickly returned, it's not very noticeable.  In the
case of going through Asterisk, there is a very slight delay which makes
the remote echo noticeable.

I'm not sure if the Eastern European countries have upgraded in the past
10 years, but it used to be that if you called from the US to say,
Yugoslavia (the specific case in which I noticed this), the party in the
US would get a very bad echo.  The party in Yugoslavia would hear no
echo at all.  In local calls within Yugoslavia, because the distance was
so short, the echo was not noticeable.  But in international calls, the
echo was nearly unbearable (especially given the international long
distance rates!).  Since you couldn't hear the echo in that country,
they never knew there was anything wrong.

-Tilghman