[Asterisk-Users] X100P / Echo / ZTMONITOR CAN2,3, etc.

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Feb 14 06:39:10 MST 2004

> If you're getting echo of your own voice, but the remote is getting a
> clear signal, then Asterisk echo cancellation is working properly.  It
> is the remote provider not echo cancelling properly.

I don't buy it.  If that were the case then why would I not _also_ get my
own voice echoed with a regular phone plugged in to the same POTS line?

The X101P cards are notoriously difficult to get decent audio quality out
of.  I know that when I used mine I tuned it so echo was minimal but the
"local echo" (my own voice) was very fast but (to me) acceptable.  I
thought it was the FXS card but when I moved and simply did not have the
POTS line anymore my local echo went away, with no changes to my phone/FXS
card/* server.

Conclusion: it was the X101P.

> You might ask your remote party not to use a speakerphone and to
> press the receiver tightly against his/her ear, as this will dampen the
> sound detected by the microphone and lessen the echo.

Again I am almost willing to put money on ANY echo problem involving the
X101P is the X101P's fault and NOT the POTS line.  I say almost because
you've been around these lists a lot longer than I have and I still get
schooled on a semi-regular basis.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew