[Asterisk-Users] Re: X100P / Echo / ZTMONITOR CAN2,3, etc.

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Feb 17 09:05:22 MST 2004

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
>>If you're getting echo of your own voice, but the remote is getting a
>>clear signal, then Asterisk echo cancellation is working properly.  It
>>is the remote provider not echo cancelling properly.
>

> I don't buy it.  If that were the case then why would I not _also_ get my
> own voice echoed with a regular phone plugged in to the same POTS line?

And you shouldn't!  Theory holds that exactly the opposite is true. With
no echo cancellation at all and with an unbalanced hybrid, the local
party hears the echo and the remote party does not. This is because the
local hybrid listens to itself talking to the pots line and sends what
it hears back to the local listener. If the hybrid is perfectly
balanced, it will subtract out what it is saying to the pots line before
it returns the signal to the local caller. The problem is that it rarely
does a very good job of this. Neither do many commercial channel banks.

There are a few common hardware glitches that can make echo a lot worse,
such as a shorted leg or corroded connection in the PSTN wiring, having
a hard wired extension connected to the same line or simply having a
lousy CO switch at the other end.  The first 2 the phone provider should
diagnose and fix for you.

The strange thing here is that asterisk is not removing the echo.  I did
notice that the 0.7.1 tar did not do the echo cancel very well and Mark
suggested that I go back to the CVS, which did wonders. You might also
verify that echo cancellation is actually turned on. Enter "zap show
channel x" at the CLI, where x is one of your defined zap channels.  If
it's enabled, somewhere in the output you should see "Echo Cancellation:
xx taps, Currently On/Off". The On/Off will change from Off to On when a
call is bridged.  If it is not enabled, check the definitions in zapata
and in your make file.