[Asterisk-Users] Still looking for small fxo sip gateway

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Feb 3 13:48:22 MST 2004

Clif,

> >I've been looking around for a small external sip fxo gateway, sending
> >emails to possible vendors, etc, and can not seem to come up with anything
> >that fits. Suggestions anyone? (No channel bank & T1 card suggestions,
> >please. I've also just completed an eval of the Mediatrix 1204 which
> >does not support the requirements.)
> >

> I second that.  Mediatrix is not RFC3261 compliant.

Not so sure that makes a lot of difference since the majority of sip
products being sold today aren't compliant either.

> >The market between two fxo pstn lines (pair of x100p's) and something
> >around four to six lines seems to be lacking, or I'm looking in the
> >wrong search engine (or something). I fully understand the economics of
> >when a channel bank and T1 card becomes cost effective, including the
> >eBay costs (and risks), etc. I've also heard the comments for months
> >now that Digium is/will be selling something real-soon-now.
> >

> I'm in the process of doing the same thing for a friend's business that
> I have installed * for their
> PBX solution.  I work for a company that develops SIP based technologies
> for carriers so the
> gateways are extremely expensive but "work".  What I have found is that
> these SOHO type
> gateways are very unstable, non-standard and/or lacking in basic features.

What do you think about using the following with the 1204?
[SIP]
exten => _9.,1,SETCIDNUM(1111)
exten => _9.,2,Dial,SIP/${EXTEN-1}@66.173.103.108

exten => _8.,1,SETCIDNUM(2222)
exten => _8.,1,Dial,SIP/${EXTEN-1}@66.173.103.108

And, within the 1204 using its filter/route entry to send all calls from
"1111" to port 1, etc?

Seems like an acceptable approach since there really isn't a lot on the
market to address the 3-to-8 pstn line needs.

> The closest thing to your requirements that I am working with is an
> Audiocodes MP-104 or larger
> gateway.  My friend bought a MP-104 and it has 4-ports that we have
> configured for FXO.  It
> has Caller-ID, hunt-groups in any combination of the ports.  The only
> problem that I am having
> with it is DTMF relay, which I will hopefully resolve with their latest
> firmware load.
>
> SIP gateways normally do NOT register.  Some smaller ones may but this
> does not scale.

I hear you, but then the real issue is how to deal with the 3-to-8 pstn
lines in the small businesses? (Somewhere over 8 lines I'm sure most businesses
can afford a PRIs, T1s, Channel banks, etc, approach.) Registering 8 sip
lines isn't THAT big of a deal, and much over that would likely migrate to
zap channels anyway.

> Imagine a bunch of 24-port FXO gateways all registering at once!

Really no different then expecting a bunch of sip phones to register.
What's the real difference between 50 sip phones and 8 sip-registering g/w
lines?

Rich