[Asterisk-Users] Still looking for small fxo sip gateway

Clif Jones ctjones at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 3 12:38:20 MST 2004

Comments below.

Rich Adamson wrote:

>I've been looking around for a small external sip fxo gateway, sending
>emails to possible vendors, etc, and can not seem to come up with anything
>that fits. Suggestions anyone? (No channel bank & T1 card suggestions,
>please. I've also just completed an eval of the Mediatrix 1204 which
>does not support the requirements.)

I second that.  Mediatrix is not RFC3261 compliant.

>The market between two fxo pstn lines (pair of x100p's) and something
>around four to six lines seems to be lacking, or I'm looking in the
>wrong search engine (or something). I fully understand the economics of
>when a channel bank and T1 card becomes cost effective, including the
>eBay costs (and risks), etc. I've also heard the comments for months
>now that Digium is/will be selling something real-soon-now.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing for a friend's business that
I have installed * for their
PBX solution.  I work for a company that develops SIP based technologies
for carriers so the
gateways are extremely expensive but "work".  What I have found is that
these SOHO type
gateways are very unstable, non-standard and/or lacking in basic features.

>Specifically, I'd like to use a 4-port fxo sip gateway capable of supporting
>four US pstn analog lines, CallerID, Touchtone, loop style supervision,
>and have the capability for asterisk to direct an outbound call to a
>specific port on that gateway. I "think" that implies "each" port must
>execute a sip register command successfully. It's also expected to accept
>incoming pstn calls directing those to a single asterisk. (I don't care
>about an IP dialtone, nat, etc, just a plain-jane two-way sip gateway.)

The closest thing to your requirements that I am working with is an
Audiocodes MP-104 or larger
gateway.  My friend bought a MP-104 and it has 4-ports that we have
configured for FXO.  It
has Caller-ID, hunt-groups in any combination of the ports.  The only
problem that I am having
with it is DTMF relay, which I will hopefully resolve with their latest
firmware load.

SIP gateways normally do NOT register.  Some smaller ones may but this
does not scale.  Imagine
a bunch of 24-port FXO gateways all registering at once!  You normally
just set the "proxy" on the
gateway, give each port an "ID" and on the PBX/proxy have a routing rule
that goes out via the
gateway.

>If anyone is designing such a box and need professional eval, we can
>certainly work with you privately (off list to radamson @ routers dot com)
>to accomidate those needs.
>
>Anyone seen such a beast at a reasonable price?

I think the Audiocodes MP-104 cost was around $1200 last year.