[Asterisk-Users] Dialling Hook Flash on Zaptel

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Feb 3 10:56:04 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 11:33, David Gomillion wrote:
> Steven Critchfield wrote:

> >> [snip]

> >> since you're connecting an X100P to a Norstar PBX, maybe immediate
> >> mode would work?  I'm not sure how well that would work with a SIP
> >> client like you were talking about...
> >
> > Not to flame, you but you really need to work on those critical
> > reading skills. The example message that was quoted till you trimmed
> > it had IAX2 as the VoIP not SIP.
> >

> Does it matter?  It's VoIP.  The concept is the same: I didn't know if it
> could be done in VoIP, and I was reading a few messages about SIP.  Forgive
> me, this will be my last message to the user's list.

It probably doesn't matter other than keeping the answer from being
muddied by technologies not involved. Flash most likely will not work in
VoIP as the kind of information sent to a switch via a flash and then
some other interaction is usually sent OOB in VoIP.

> > Next, Immediate mode only is of use when you have dialed, or been
> > dialed. We are still in the state of not having dialed and therefore
> > selected a outbound line.
>
> what about something like this?  NOTE: THIS IS NOT WORKING CODE.  It is an
> idea, a concept.  If you want to try it to make it work, then you will have
> to build on this.
>
> exten => _*XX,1,Dial(Zap/1/1)  (dials a 1 on the outgoing zap interface,
> probably needs a short timeout)
> exten => _*XX,2,Flash()
> exten => _*XX,3,Dial(Zap/1/${EXTEN})
>
> The flash is probably on the wrong side, as I look at it more closely.  This
> will probably send the flash to your VoIP client.  But maybe you could look
> into scripting with AGI.

When dial times out in priority 1, you loose the zap channel.
Interesting enough, you may have hit on the correct idea though. The
dialing of the line maybe without any digits will pick up the line. Time
it out, and then do a dial out again this time with real digits. This
would simulate picking up the line, flashing(implied through the hangup
and then new dial) and then dialing.

> >> How often do your speed dials change?  If it's not very often, maybe
> >> you should recreate it in *.  You could have an extension which
> >> sends you into a context that asks for the speed dial code.  You
> >> could then key it in, and it would send you where you want to go.
> >> Not elegant, but it might be good enough.
> >
> > This is probably the only useful suggestion, and most likely the only
> > one to work.
>
> And with that, I bid the fair Asterisk-User's list a farewell, at least for
> posting.  I will now become one of the countless other leaches who give
> nothing back to the community.  It was good to get help, and I tried to help
> others out, but I have a lot better things to do than spend my time helping
> others only to get flamed every time I turn around.
>
> You need to remember that we're all volunteers.  I will only take it in the
> teeth so many times before I say goodbye.
>
> Go ahead and rip me a new one.  Have fun.  Rant, rave, call me stupid.  Tell
> me I have no value, and that I contribute nothing.  The more you say it, the
> more accurate it becomes.

Dude, you need to take your ego out of the equation here. Like any other
human interaction, if you allow it to hit you in the teeth, you only
loose teeth. As you should notice here, when you distill the problem and
people continue to interact, a solution can usually be found. The
solution above is mostly you, and I have just helped simplify it to a
point it should work. Please continue to post. Eventually we all learn,
and as you learn, you will probably flip to the other side of the
interaction you are complaining about.