[Asterisk-Users] Comdial PBX -- can use Asterisk as VM box?

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Mon Dec 27 09:59:14 MST 2004

On Monday 27 December 2004 10:53 am, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> steve szmidt wrote:
> > If you terminate the T's in the Asterisk box and then put patch cables
> > between the Asterisk box and your Comdial, you can probably accomplish
> > these things.
> >
> > You might need to detect what your Comdial does to talk to a VM system
> > and then configure Asterisk to answer properly.
>
> What's the best way to figure this out? I'm looking to replace a VM that
> talks to a phone system over analog lines and a Dialogic card.
>
> I am guessing the phone system rings the voicemail(phone system provides
> dial tone), but I'm not sure how extensions and digits are being used to
> make the rest of the features work. Is there an application I can use to
> listen on a line for flashes, digits, callerid, and did-type info?

If you can nail it on the network side it's easy. Ethereal will record and
even graph different protocols for you.

On the phone side one there are specific tools but they cost usually a lot of
money. (Starting over $10K.) If it's coming in over a serial port one can rig
something to listen and record that, but you'll probably need to be handy
with a breakout box. (In effect it opens up the serial cable so you can
configure it the way you want to.)

I could not give you how to do that without just figuring out and doing it
myself and I'm afraid I don't have that kind of time.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin